Rhigos RFC | 1st Team 10 - 7 Alltwen RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
01 October 2017 / Team News

Rhigos 10 Alltwen 7

After last week's heroics at Crynant when he scored a hat trick of tries, Lewis Morgan struck once again to score what proved to be the winning try late in the game. Dean Hawkes converted and after 15 more nail biting minutes which seemed to last for ever, Rhigos had won their second home match of the season by 10 points to 7.

What a cracking match it was. On a heavy rain swept pitch 2 very well organised sides both with excellent defences, battled away at each other fiercely and fairly without quarter. After a bright start Rhigos pressed hard in Alltwen's 22 metre zone to no avail. Then Alltwen in turn worked their way steadily into the Rhigos 22 only to be thwarted by strong defence. Eventually Rhigos were awarded a penalty and Dean Hawkes relieved the pressure with a fine kick to touch and five minuted later with an even better kick from another penalty he opened the score with 3 points.

This signalled a good period for Rhigos as first Jon Smith and then Gareth Davies went close to a score but the cover defence just about kept them out. Alltwen cleared and then went downfield and worked their way to within 5 metres of the Rhigos line and from a series of scrums their number 8 drove over right on half time to score a try that was converted to give them a half time lead of 7 points to three.

At half time Mark's message to the team was more of the same boys and keep patient. Big Rhyd and Adam came off, well satisfied by their performance and were replaced by Richard Smith and Joss Pope while behind the scrum Ben Morris replaced Brandon in a tactical substitution to add a bit of muscle to the mid field.

The pattern of the first half was repeated in the second with both teams retaining possession for long periods recycling for phase after phase. It was not for the faint hearted with Jon Smith, Dan Dudley and Josh Richards tireless in the back row in defence and Lewis Morgan sniping away at scrum half. It was always going to be a one score game and it was Alltwen who cracked. Duane Dudley led his troops yet again into the Alltwen 22, Jon Smith, Joss Pope and James Tobin drove on and Lewis Morgan wriggled over after first losing the ball then winning it back for the crucial try that Dean Hawkes converted with a fine kick. 

Alltwen came back at Rhigos and spent the last 5 minutes camped in the Rhigos 22 and driving strongly for the score that would overturn the 3 point lead. Rhigos defence just about held out and there was a great shout of both satis faction and relief when the referee blew for No-Side.

We were all really chuffed and every player played his part in this fine team performance. Special praise for captain Duane Dudley and vice captain Jon Smith who led the team by strong example.  


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos