Cefn Cribbwr RFC | 1st Team 27 - 29 Rhigos RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
15 October 2017 / Team News

Table Toppers Toppled

What a game we had last Saturday against the early season table toppers, Cefn Cribbwr, down on their own patch. After the lead changed hands on seven occasions Rhigos just got their noses in front at the final whistle when Dean Hawkes kicked the penalty that put smiles on every Rhigos face for a 29 to 27 points victory.

Rhigos were a bit disrupted at the start with some of their players arriving late due to road traffic accidents and had to press Kyle Hinks into emergency full back duties where he did well but showed some inexperience at times as you would expect. The referee Robert Hale who proved himself a fine no nonsense kind of official got the game underway ten minutes late and Rhigos took some time to settle down so that 15 minutes into the game a few missed tackles let Cefn in for the first try that their outside half converted.

The score woke us up and Dean Hakes kicked us deep into Cefn's half. We won the lineout and Dean, Lewis and Gareth combined to send Tan steaming through. He was held up short but the ball was recyccled for 3 phases before Josh Richards scored a try that Dean improved to tie the scores at 7 - 7. Then we scored again quickly afterwards from a nice counter attack started by Kyle and carried on again through several phases by our hard working pack for Tan to put Gareth in for a score that Dean once again converted. 14 - 7.

Then Cefn came back with some fine play of their own which combined with some sloppy defending saw their centre score under the posts. The try was converted. 14 - 14.

Just on half time we surrendered a good position this time for Cefn's fly half to gain a good foothold in our half from which their blind side wing entered the line in a lovely angle between the centres to score a fine try wide out which once again was converted to take the game to half time 21- 14 to Cefn.

At this stage we were quite disappointed the pack under Duane's captaincy and driven on by a strong performance from Jonny had played really well. Cameron, James and Josh were in the thick of an all action performance and old heads the 2 Richards, Smith and Williams along with Joss did all the spadework that helped recycle lots of good possession. But we had not done quite as well behind the scrum as Cefn.

At half time Ryan who had been stuck in traffic and arrived late replaced Kyle at full back but there were no other changes which proved the right call because we were quickly back on the attack and within ten minute some fine handling down the narrow side saw the pack burst through Cefn's defence for James Tobin to score in the corner a try that again Dean converted with a fine kick. 21 - 21.

Then Cefn struck back with a fine penalty of their own from the touch line 40 metres out. 24 - 21 to Cefn.

We then scored a gem of a try when Rean, Gareth and Tan took the ball down the middle and Lewis fed Jonny who put Dylan in at the corner. Dean missed the kick. 26 - 24 to Rhigos.

Back came Cefn and within 5 minutes they regained the lead with another penalty. 27 - 26 to Cefn.

The last ten minutes of the game were then played with pace and intensity and showed good fitness levels from both sides. Rhigos pressed down the slope into Cefn's half and got the penalty they deserved as Cefn frantically defended a series of rucks. Dean Hawkes stepped up and struck a very good wide angle 30 metre penalty to put the score 29 to 27 for Rhigos.

The last couple of minutes saw us defend like demons. It was Cefn who lost their composure and discipline and Rhigos who kept theirs to win the game.

The Table Toppers had been toppled.  But we are only 5 games in to what is proving to be a very competitive division. It will take a good side to win the title. 

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos